Job Description About The Role
WeWork is currently seeking an Associate for the China Public Affairs team. This full-time position will be based in Shanghai and will report to Senior Manager, Public Affairs based in Shanghai. The position will offer the right candidate a unique opportunity to join one of the world’s foremost late-stage growth companies and help build our brand.
The primary role of Associate, China Public Affairs is to provide support for the China Public Affairs team across a variety of responsibilities and projects. The Associate, China Public Affairs will help liaise between departments, respond to press inquiries, monitor relevant news and trends in key markets, advise/inform senior management, contribute to the creation of strategic plans and materials and provide additional support as needed.
This role will provide candidates who are passionate about communications and public affairs with an opportunity to learn new skills while making meaningful contributions to WeWork’s growth. Qualified candidates will be organized, adaptable, and able to multi-task. He/she must thrive in a fast-paced environment with unique individual skill sets, personalities, and experiences that comprise a larger functioning organizational body. Cross-department communication and collaboration are central to the role.
- Collaborate with and support the China Public Affairs team in developing and implementing proactive and reactive communications plans and initiatives to promote WeWork to its potential member base
- Demonstrate passion for storytelling, learning and a commitment to excellence
- Research, compile, and analyze WeWork and its peers’ media coverage
- Follow key trends by keeping abreast of the industry, competition and coverage
- Write, edit, and proofread materials including press releases, pitch letters, fact sheets, backgrounders, correspondence, etc.
- Create and maintain targeted press lists
- Proactively identify, pitch story topics to journalists and follow-up with editorial opportunities
- Consistently conceive of new and interesting opportunities to secure media coverage
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders (media, bloggers, KOLs, government, partners, members and cross-functional team)
- Handle incoming media inquiries and achieve best possible outcome for WeWork
- Develop and feed content to marketing team for posting on social media channels
- Oversee and be fully responsible for monthly and quarterly reporting
- Keep track of impending deadlines and ensure all work is completed in a timely manner
- Support the China Public Affairs team in managing and improving the public perception of the WeWork brand on a daily basis, both externally and internally
- Act as primary coordinator for all administrative and organizational duties within the China Public Affairs team
- Manage travel, and expense reporting for team members
- Liaise frequently with other departments to ensure communications efforts that leverage WeWork’s product are accurate and supportive of WeWork’s larger PR strategies
- Maintain proactive attitude, responsibility and perspective that continually advance the quality of our work
- Fluent in English and Mandarin (speaking and writing)
- 2-3 years of experience in communications and/or public policy
- Ability to work in a multinational corporation, fast-paced startup or growth organization, and across various regions and/or territories
- Solid relationships with key media, business, startup, and community
- Experience in managing China PR and marketing campaigns
- Strong organization, communication, writing and presentation skills: experience working across multiple levels, functions and regions